FacebookTwitterPinterestGoogle+InstagramRSS Simply in Control

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Functional Apartment Entryway

We know how it is in apartments...you are provided with a somewhat long, narrow hallway with bare walls on both sides. Sound nonfunctional? We can change that! Here's the reveal of the entryway I just updated in my apartment, (it used to be completely empty):


 This is the view from when you enter the apartment.


And the view from inside. Let's get into the details!


This cute little stool works great for holding my son's diaper bag and is of course also meant for sitting on while taking off and putting on shoes. I moved the diaper bag to the side and it's only half on the stool and half just leaning against the wall with empty space in between so that there's more space to sit on. You can't really tell unless you look closely. Shh, don't tell anyone! ;)


The stool is on clearance at Target right now for $29.98, originally $59.99. I thought that was a great price for this valuable piece that will last a long time. 


On the far right, I hung up a mail sorter I got from overseas. It holds coupons, takeout menus and other paperwork I need to take a look at. 


In the center, I have some calligraphy artwork and a key holder.






I hung up my purse using a command hook. I just put this up a day ago and am worried about how long it will last up. If it ever falls, I will update this post right under this picture.



I also nailed in a clipboard with a to do list on it. The intention is to write up all the errands which are outside related so we can just glance up and see what we have to get done outside. I just placed a pen on top of it which had bold black ink so it's easily visible. This clipboard was from Marshalls.






The last section of the wall has this mirror and organizer set, also from Target. Unfortunately I couldn't find a link for it...might be because I bought it a few months ago.






So on top of the shelf I keep our sunglasses and a small bag to decrease the clutter. The bag holds stuff like my husband's wallet, my son's socks which we need quickly when we're heading out, and stuff like that. It helps to keep the place looking tidy.


This is what the shelf pictures looked like when we bought it.



I used the same scrapbook paper and stickers that I used in my Family Binder to match my style.


Hanging are my son's items: a baby carrier, his 
cap and a jacket.


Moving further along, I placed a shoe shelf on the other side. One tip for organizing shoes is that if you place them in alternating directions, it will offer more space.





I also have a coin cup on the kitchen counter, which is just a few steps away.  The coat closet holds the remaining necessities.


Hope you enjoyed this post! Don't forget to Like this page on Facebook and Follow me on Pinterest! Thanks for visiting! 

Featured on With a Blast

Linked to:
 

Live Laugh Rowe 
Serenity Now
A Bowl Full of Lemons
Remodelaholic 
With a Blast

22 comments :

  1. What a great idea! It looks fantastic and so practical. Thanks for sharing.

    Not really Anonymous--just don't have a blog. Meri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! Glad you liked it :)

      Also, I tested it out for you...you can type your name in the Name/URL section and just leave the URL blank :) Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. I really love how you utilized your wall space! And I have been drooling over that sweet little Target bench for ages... happy to see one of my readers was able to snag one up! :)

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to realize it was THE Jennifer Jones from I Heart Organizing commenting on my blog!! I LOVE your blog and visit it everyday! Thanks so much for visiting...and those benches are just adorable. You should pick them up from Target while they're on clearance!! :)

      Delete
  3. I just move to a new apartment and this seems perfect.
    The hall is a lot narrower though.
    http://hanaiyzm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea!! And I just move to a new apartment too!
    I wish i could put a shoe rack and small stools like yours though, my hallway is a lot narrower.
    http://hanaiyzm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for dropping by! I'm sure you can find a different styled stool that would be more suitable for your area! :)

      Delete
  5. Great use of space,very functional. I love the to-do list right there where you need it. Thanks for sharing.
    Sarah
    www.creativeramblingsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! Hope you visit again :)

      Delete
  6. What a great idea! It's functional and hip at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment! I love entering my apartment to this wall :)

      Delete
  7. Great way in maximizing space. We are also living in a rented apartment, too small to my liking because we are always running out of storage space. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Jhanis! I hope you're also able to create a functional space in your area very soon! :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by and your encouraging comment! :)

      Delete
  9. Looks great. I love that stool - and clearance is even better! I'm hosting a giveaway for two great pillow covers that you should enter! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/11/pillow-covers-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment and invitation, Kayla! And I adore that stool! :)

      Delete
  10. I'm wondering if I can make something like this work on the wall in my bedroom! I Iam not supposed to leave my belongings anywhere else in the house, but it is hard when you are living in a single bedroom! Hmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Yes, you can certainly use the wall in your room! The one next to the door would be best. When there's lack of space then using wall space is the way to go! :) Good luck!

      Delete
  11. You have raised an important issue..Thanks for sharing..I would like to read more current affairs from this blog..keep posting..
    Dicas de decoraço

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! You got that stool at Target? I had no idea they had such great furniture.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...